Not usually, though you should check your tenancy agreement to make sure that this is explicit.

  • Image

If your landlord would like you to vacate the property, they can change the locks in certain circumstances, but they must also give you reasonable notice of this. Such circumstances include:

  • When you share communal facilities with your landlord or their family (kitchen, bathroom etc.).
  • You’re living there as part of a holiday.
  • You don’t pay any rent.
  • You’re a hotel guest.

If you are none of the above your landlord must follow a fair process to evict you.

If your landlord just wants to change the locks as part of a routine repair they have certain obligations which they must meet in order to comply with the law; they are:

  • Meeting health and safety requirements.
  • Making sure you as tenants can live peacefully.
  • Accepting rent.
  • Keeping you informed.
  • Actually carrying out some repairs.
  • They give you a spare copy of the keys to the new lock.

J Mills Locksmiths can sometimes be called by a landlord to change locks. If you find that a locksmith attempts to change your locks but you didn’t ask for it and the landlord haven’t ask for your permission to do so; you basically have the right to send the locksmith away.

For further information on our landlord and tenant services, please contact us on 07940900617.

For locksmith services in Manchester or more info contact our team of emergency locksmiths in Manchester.

Locked out? Don’t worry! One of our professional locksmiths will have you back inside your property in no time.

Call us now on 07940900617